Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

So Metal (part 1 of 2) 3/4/16-3/7/16

This was my first foray into metal work.  It was an 4-day intensive workshop (30 hours) at a metal arts school.  The days were packed with tons and tons of information.  I usually get really nervous about learning new things like this and started to get butterflies in my stomach as the class approached.  After a couple of pep talks from Bobaloo and Billy I decided to go in with a determined attitude.  My biggest challenge was not being anxious about all of the things I didn't know.

The class was taught by an ex-Air Force bomb putter-togetherer (technical term) and it was very regimented.  I appreciated the structure because I am not always the most focused person and it helped keep me on task.  I was really excited to learn how to use different tools and the instructor was awesomely helpful and corrected my blunders in a kind way.

The tools.

Safety Jill.
Soldered pieces of the pendant.


The dent is from accidentally soldering a T-pin to the pendant. Oops!

Sanding, polishing, closing it up.
The end result (Bobaloo picked out the Lapiz).

Cool Things:
  • The instructor was awesome with addressing my safety concerns.
  • The other students were beginners and new to metalsmithing.
  • I gained a lot of confidence working with a torch.
  • I learned how to use different tools (even if it took breaking 6 saw blades).
  • Small class size (8 students).
  • The projects were really challenging.

Drool Things:
  • The course was spendy.
  • The supplies were spendy.
  • The days got really long and I was ready to shutdown at 2:30.
  • I still need to learn how to slow down so silly mistakes aren't made.

Final thoughts:

I loved this class and was so happy to learn some metalsmithing basics. I definitely want to take the metalsmithing 2 course where you learn to make mult-stone bracelets and rings.  Maybe in the fall...



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for getting in touch. I also took a jewelry class and made a pendant. My instructor was so cool, that I bought some stackable rings that she had made. I thought I could catch her coolness that way. No joke! :)

    ReplyDelete